Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sign Language

Owen and Olivia have been watching Baby Einstein 1st Signs since they were about 6 months old.  But just recently, we have really started to see them using signs for communication.  Olivia especially loves it. 

Olivia's signs -
More
Ball
Baby
Eat

Owen's signs -
Mommy

Olivia also has a mystery sign where she touches her cheek.  And looks straight at me as if I am supposed to know what she wants.  She get's very frustrated when I don't figure it out!

Last night, Olivia wouldn't go to bed.  I tried everything - drinks, binkies, cuddling, even tylenol.  For an hour and a half, nothing worked.  I went in to attempt to comfort her again, picked her up and she signed "Eat".  I practically ran to the kitchen and got her some crackers and she was so happy!  She ate and then pointed to her crib.  I put her in and she layed down. 

Now I am pretty much determined to make them learn a million signs (and speak of course!)  Bring on the communication!  Things have got to become easier when they can tell us what they want!

Does anyone have recommendations?  Should we get a Baby Signing Time or regular Signing Time dvd to add to our collection?  Or just keep practicing the signs we know from Baby Einstein?

2 comments:

  1. That story has such a great ending...I'm so glad she could tell you what she wanted! I think it's so cool that they are signing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that B's school teaches sign language! Olivia is a rockstar! We only know "please" and "more" I'm sure he knows more but I need to ask what certain moves are ha! So cool!

    ReplyDelete