Friday, August 5, 2011

Allergies

We found out today that we will have to be "those parents".  Those parents that tell everyone in their kids kindergarten class that they can't bring peanut butter for lunch!  Well, ok, hopefully it doesn't get that serious.  But, Olivia did test positive for both egg and peanut allergies.

Her egg allergy will hopefully go away with time, and was less severe.  For now, she will avoid pure eggs, but we will not cut back on all products with eggs.  She has only reacted to scrambled eggs, and hasn't had other issues.

Peanuts are another story.  Kids usually do not outgrow peanut allergies.  They usually get worse over time.  For now, she will avoid all peanuts, products made with peanuts, products made in factories with peanuts(i.e. plain m&m's), and even peanut oil (after some more research, Chik Fil A claims their oil is allergen free.  I'll have to research that one some more!).  Ugh!  Although her reactions so far have been treated with benadryl, we picked up a prescription today for an epi-pen. 

It's going to be an interesting adventure, that's for sure!

I know the pictures have been lacking recently.  I promise to take some this weekend!  We have a baby shower for Hudson Bakalar tomorrow, and are celebrating our 6th Anniversary tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry girl! I grew out of my (minor) milk/egg allergy early on...but maintained the nut allergy. Luckily it never got beyond the itchy stage so we'll hope for that for little Olivia. I can happily enjoy plain M&Ms and Chick-fil-A french fries. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew out of my peanut allergy! I used to have to bring jelly sandwiches to school!

    ReplyDelete