Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sleep Training Mom and Dad

Olivia quit sleeping through the night months ago - sometime before thanksgiving.  She wakes up, takes a full bottle, and goes straight back to sleep.  The Pedatician said that as long as she takes a full bottle, then she's probably hungry and we can keep feeding her.  But, she also pointed out that she's eating plenty, and she doesn't need the nutrition. 

Last Tuesday, she woke up 3 times and took 3 bottles.  We'd had enough.  She does not need to eat every 3 hours!  So Wednesday night, we settled in for a long few nights of sleep training.  She woke up for the first time at 10:30 that night.  I went in every 5 minutes, told her I loved her and gave her a binkie and a pat on the back.  Then I left the room.  I did that for an hour and a half until she finally fell asleep and went to bed thinking there is no way I could do that the next time she woke up, or I'd never make it to work the next morning!  She slept the rest of the night without a sound. 

And she slept the 5 nights after that.  Occasionally I hear her wake up, but she goes back to sleep within minutes.  So it seems to me that we were the problem and not her!?  Could she have been sleeping all night this entire time?  We'll never know.  But what we know now is that we've had 5 nights of 10 hours of sleep from Olivia (with a few wakeups from Owen - but he's teething, and he rarely ever wakes in the night). 

I hope I didn't jinx it by blogging!  We are loving our sleep again!

1 comment:

  1. After we fixed our ear issues we started sleep training too. Isn't it heaven to be sleeping again? :) Glad it worked out for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete